Pages

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Snooty Almond Nectarine Pancakes

Hello Friends, it's been a while. My bad. I've been in a blogging funk. Like going to the gym, if I miss more than two days I may as well write it off for a season. Blarghity blargh.

I apologize, and will now attempt to weasel my way back into your hearts with food. Since breakfast is the most important delicious meal of the day, we'll start there.

I remember when I was a kid being at a friend's house, and her dad was making us pancakes for breakfast. Being a pancake fan I was rightly stoked. Until I saw him open the cupboard and reach for a box of pancake mix. What the hell? Until that moment I honestly had no idea such a thing existed. It's not like pancakes require much effort. Boxed mixes? That's for camping (though I'm more likely to pre-mix my own dry ingredients) or last minute birthday cake emergencies.

I may be something of a pancake snob. Ok, just a general snob. I also hate smelling like food, and will not make breakfast after I've showered, unless a re-shower is possible. Especially if there is bacon involved. We all have our things.

These pancakes would be perfectly palatable without the nectarine, I just like it because A) it looks awesome and only takes about 2% more effort, and B) it gives a hit of sweet that negates the need for syrup.

Please also note that I don't actually measure spices, so the measurements are approximate. Adjust to your preference.

Almond Nectarine Pancakes


You will need:

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour (or 3/4 cup each all purpose and whole wheat)

1 tsp salt

3 tbsp sugar (white or brown)

1 3/4 tsp baking powder

1 tsp cinammon

1/4 to 1/2 tsp nutmeg, preferably freshly grated

pinch of cloves

2 eggs

3 tbsp vegetable oil*

1 to 1 1/4 cups almond milk *

Two nectarines, thinly sliced

1/4 cup sliced almonds

Sift together dry ingredients (except almonds).

Beat eggs. Add vegetable oil and milk. Whisk together. Fold in dry ingredients. Stir until well combined, adding more almond milk until it's the desired think/thinness. I prefer them a little on the thin side.

Add a titch of oil or butter to your pan / griddle.

Place a slice of nectarine in the pan. Give it it a minute or so, until the bottom looks a little brown and caramelized. Flip over and sprinkle on a few almonds.

Cook another minute, then pour about 1/4 to 1/3 of a cup of batter over the nectarine slice.

They're ready to flip when the batter is full of holes. If you aren't sure, sneak a peak at the bottom. They should be uniformly golden. Though, if you're like me, the first one is always sort of pasty and a throwaway.

Note, that if you're using thick batter you'll run the risk of uncooked batter under the nectarine. I have friends who actually prefer their pancakes rare (no jokes, runny in the middle), but like anything with a snot-like texture it gives me the heaves.

When they're looking holey and somewhat dry flip them over.

They'll only need a minute or so to brown up the other side. Again, sneak a peek if you aren't sure. When they done either serve immediately, or transfer to a baking sheet in a warm oven until your pancake army is all cooked and ready for serving.



Enjoy your delicious breakfast. Please, don't drown them in syrup. You may as well be eating boxed pancakes if you do.

xoxo  ~ your friend melissa

* I am a lactard. You can totally use melted butter in place of oil and real old school dairy instead of almond milk. Whatever floats your boat.

No comments:

Post a Comment