Pages

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The Best Damned Corn You'll Ever Eat

I grew up with a lot of boiled vegetables. Boiled rounds of carrot haunt my dreams. As an adult I do the bare minimum amount of boiling. I'd say I pretty much reserve that for the occasional egg. I know corn might seem like an obvious exception to the no boil rule, but I believe their is a better, far tastier way.

Grill that sumbitch. And while you're at it, tart it up with a few garden fresh herbs.That's what I'm talking about, and here's how to do it.
Herbed Grilled Corn

If the ears have heavy husks peel off the top few, leaving just a couple of layers.

Soak the whole cobs in cold water for 15 minutes. This will speed up the cooking by providing steam and, prevents dried out kernels. Note: it's a nice idea to use soaking water to water plants rather than just dumping it down the drain.

While the corn is soaking preheat the grill to medium and prep your herbs. I used a mixture of parsley, sage, oregano and chives. If the basil was up yet I'd have used some. Personally, I think sage is key. I only did two cobs, so I just picked a few sprigs of each. Chop it fairly fine.

Pull back, but do not remove, the husks. Remove the silk.

Lightly spray the corn with olive oil.

Lightly season with salt and pepper. Rub on her mixture.



Pull husks back over corn and secure the middle and open end with strips of the discarded husk.

Place the corn on the grill over medium heat.



They're like delicious little presents!

Turn occasionally to keep from burning. Note that you can totally do this over hot coals on a campfire.

Cook the corn for approximately 15 minutes, being careful not to overcook. Mushy corn is nasty. It's ready when the husks have browned and are lifting from the ear.



Remove corn from the grill (using tongs, safety first!) and pull off husks. I'm not a butter adder, but if you are, do your things.



Hopefully yours isn't a weird FrankenCorn like this. Seriously, I had a hard time eating this one. It looked like Hallowe'en teeth. How does that even happen to corn?

Whatever, it still tasted delicious.

Enjoy!



xoxo ~ your friend melissa

3 comments:

  1. I like that it tells me to "Rub on her mixture."

    Tee hee!

    Seriously though, looks delish :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dubacle stole my post!

    ReplyDelete