Pages

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Lentil Pancakes and Prune Chutney

First off, for those of you who thought Hanger Monster in yesterday's post was a typo ... not so, MoFo. Hanger, it's a word meaning so hungry one gets angry,  look it up.

Anywhoo ... another food post. This will probably be happening a lot over the next few weeks, as food is pretty much all I'm thinking about. I want to stick my face in a sluice of coffee, wheat and sugar and just motorboat the hell out of it. But I can't, so I'll just keep experimenting with tummy friendly foods and sharing them with you, ummmkay?

I've been really missing bready things, and as a result I have a growing collection of non-wheat, gluten free flours. Amaranth flour is supposed to have a slightly peppery flavour, but I haven't noticed it. I've only tried it in a few things so far; these pancakes were the best of the experiments. Yes, more pancakes. But pancakes that (hopefully) won't make my trainers give me their stern voices. Because they're packed with lentils, yo.

Again, both of these recipes are adapted from Recipes for IBS by Ashley Koff, RD, though they've both been changed up a bit.

Lentil Amaranth Pancakes


1 cups cooked pink lentils

1/2 cup amaranth flour

3 tbsp almond oil

1 tsp cumin

1/2 cup almond milk

In a food processor combine all ingredients until well mixed.

Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat and spray with oil. Place a tablespoon of batter in the pan (I use a large enough pan to do four at a time). When the edges begin to brown, flip the pancake and flatten with the flipper. Continue cooking until done and serve with prune chutney.

Prune Nectarine Chutney


2 teaspoons canola oil

2 shallots, coarsely chopped

1/3 cup chopped fresh prunes

1 nectarine, coarsely chopped

1 tsp honey

1 tbsp apple cider vinegar

1 tsp freshly grated ginger

In a heavy sauce pot, cook the shallots in oil over medium heat, stirring to prevent them from burning, until softened. Stir in the prunes, nectarine, honey, ginger and vinegar and simmer approximately 10 minutes until prunes soften and nectarine is cooked.

Serve warm or cold over lentil pancakes. Garnish with toasted pine nuts.


Enjoy.

xoxo ~ your friend melissa

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment